There is no black and white number that addresses that issue; it all depends on the industry you have chosen. Some industries, such as consulting, require less, and others, such as restaurants, require more. At the very least you should be investing $100 to $150 thousand, or otherwise it may be considered a hobby. If you think about the fact that your job is to run a company, not work it, you will realize that you require staff, and the capability of growth. Yours is not to come to the US to create a job for yourself as you have in your home country.

Yes. However, you need to own at least half of the company or it won’t be considered an E2 company. 

Assuming the partner has the right to be in the US and to invest in a company, he or she can be from anywhere (but they must have the ability to remain as an investor in their own right). The partner can also be a Green Card holder or a US citizen. If the partner is from a non E2 country and has no visa or Green Card, then the partner’s situation is a completely different scenario and needs to be analyzed. 

Yes, you can do that, as long as you own half. However, be careful. If the company is valued at $500,000 and you only invest $150,000 then you don’t own half; you may require a valuation to know what the company is worth. 

If you are in retail, for example, you can count your inventory; you can even ship it from your home country’s supplies. If you pay your rent a year in advance that entire amount is considered part of the investment. If you refurbish your space, that is part of your investment. Supplies, computers, desks, they all count; no different that if you were starting a new company.

Yes, but. The loan has to be personally guaranteed by you, not your LLC or corporation.

Yes and no. Purchasing your home or ‘a’ home, even if you have a home office does not count. If you are purchasing a commercial building, a motel, or hotel, even if it has a mortgage, counts.

Yes, but. You cannot buy just one expensive home and refurbish it. An E2 visa requires someone to manage it, so if it is not complex enough to require management, it most likely does not require an E2 person. If you are flipping homes, then you should invest in at least half a dozen or more so that your executive skills are required; executive being high-level decision-making (to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise).

Yes and no. In the traditional sense, no, However, if you have a company in another country of a certain size (depends on the industry) and one here, you may qualify after a year of having the E2, for an EB1 Green Card. With that Green Card case, no advertising of the job is necessary and you could potentially receive a Green Card in one year.

Yes, it is a dual intent visa. However, if you are applying for an E2 visa but truly intend to file for a Green Card you will be denied the visa as that would constitute a fraudulent entry.

An E1 is for import or export and an E2 is for other entrepreneurial endeavors.

No. Check the list of treaty countries on our web site in order to ascertain if both are allowed for your country of origin.

No, you can work for a company and obtain an E2 visa. However, both you and the company must be from the treaty country.

Yes. You can either prepare one yourself and we will review it free of charge, your CPA can prepare it or we can prepare it.

You will be considered a national of the country whose passport you use to enter the US with.