E-2 Visa Frequently Asked Questions

(Call now for a Free consultation 1-877-223-4684)

E-2 treaty investor visa
What is an E2 Treaty Investor Visa?
The E-2 treaty investor visa allows you to relocate to the United States from certain countries that are considered “treaty countries,” after investing a substantial amount of money into a business in the United States. Treaty countries include Mexico, Canada, and many countries in Western Europe, as well as many others (see our list).
How long will the E-2 treaty investor visa allow me to stay in the United States?
The E-2 treaty investor visa allows you to stay indefinitely, although the visa must be renewed every few years. Unlike with many other visas, you are not required to state a specific time you plan to return to your home country. All that’s needed is an “intent” to depart from the United States upon the termination of the E2 status. Many people continue to run a successful business in the United States for years and renew their visa several times.

How do I know whether I’m eligible to apply for an E2 Visa?
In order to apply for the E-2 treaty investor visa, you must be a native of a treaty country (see the list of countries here). You must invest a substantial amount of money (usually at least $150,000) into a business in the United States. Please visit our E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Eligibility page for a full list of eligibility requirements.

How do you qualify for an E2 Visa?
The applications for an E-2 treaty investor visa are submitted through a U.S. or consulate office. You will need documents that identify your nationality and residence status, along with evidence of possession and control of investment funds, proof of investment, and marginality. You should include a three or five-year business plan in your paperwork to prove your company will be able to generate a substantial amount of money. The business plan should include a SWOT analysis, marketing and advertising plans, as well as a 3 or 5-year financial projection. You can prepare one on your own and we will review it or we can prepare one for you; there are various companies that create business plans as well.

Does an E-2 Visa allow my family to relocate with me?
Spouses and dependent children under the age of 21 are also granted allowance to enter the country under the E-2 treaty investor visa. While your spouse would be allowed to apply for authorization to work in the U.S., children admitted under the visa are not allowed work authorization. The spouse of an E-2 treaty investor visa holder is allowed to work in any position they choose and can change jobs every week if he or she desires.

Have more questions, or ready to get started? Give us a call today for a consultation!
U.S. (619) 677-5727

(877) 223-4684 (toll-free from Canada)

For those calling from outside the US: (619) 677-5727

From Canada: (877) 223-4684

From Italy: 0689385848 (Rome)

From England: 2033710984